Barton Farm offers a wide range of attractions and activities for the discerning visitor to the Western Cape:
- The elegant Blue Crane; South Africa’s national bird, and Africa’s most endangered bird species, breeds on the farm, and you can frequently watch their courting dance in the farm’s vineyards and fields.
- Other birds regularly seen on the farm include Egyptian geese, hadidas, hammerheads, bokmakeries, sugarbirds, sunbirds, plovers, herons and finches. Pelicans and flamingos can be viewed at the Botriver Lagoon, just 5 kilometres from the farm. The famous South African penguin colony at Betty’s Bay is just half an hour’s drive from the farm.
Walking and trekking
- Visitors can hike through the Kogelberg National Eco Park’s many well-maintained trails, which are within a short driving distance of the farm. Alternatively guests can simply take off into the Kogelberg Mountains behind the villas.
- Barton Farm is just 5 minutes’ drive from the Arabella championship golf course. There are also golf courses in Hermanus (a thirty minute drive) and Kleinmond (a twenty minute drive). The farm has its own short holes and putting greens.
- Barton Farm’s hard court, with its mountain views, is available to all guests. Rackets and balls may be borrowed on request.
- Barton’s dam is stocked with Rainbow Trout, and guests are more than welcome to cast a fly.
- Guests can watch whales from several beaches and headlands in the vicinity, or take a whale-watching boat trip from Hermanus in the June to December months.
- Instruction, hire of equipment and diving trips are available at Hermanus. White shark cage diving, for those with a sense of adventure, can be arranged at Gansbaai.
- Barton Farm in the Walker Bay wine area, has its own vineyards, producing Chenin blanc, Sauvignon blanc, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Mourvèdre and Malbec. While the majority of Barton wine is exported to the UK, a small quantity is retained for sale in South Africa and is available in restaurants in the locality and from the farm manager.
- A number of other local Walker Bay vineyards offer tasting and wine sales.
- There are a number of world-class scenic drives within a short distance of Barton Farm, destinations include Greyton, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Swellendam, Gordon’s Bay, Betty’s Bay and Cape Aghulas (the southernmost point of Africa) .
- The area has a number of excellent hotels and restaurants within short driving distance.
- There are extensive uncrowded, sandy beaches around Onrus, Kleinmond and Hermanus.